Wednesday 16 February 2011

Ups and Downs ..............

Weeded the fabrics ................


Started cutting a few strips and decided to ditch a few of the pinks that were actually dress fabrics (poplin) thus short on plain mid and pale pink in particular.  A few months back, helping mum to change the beds she said just as well to throw one of the sheets away as it had worn in the middle.  Asking whether it was cotton or polycotton the reply was "Egyptian cotton" (in a tone that shouted how dare I ask such a thing)!  I remembered that sheet today so out with the Fuschia dye ..................



Watered down for the paler colours and left for just a few minutes before rinsing out.  The 30 minute washing machine cycle does come in handy sometimes.  Pressed and ready to use (on the right) ............


Starting to stitch ............


Already I've run into problems.  These large blocks (I've completed 5) should measure 8.5" but they are only 8.25 ............. in fact one is only 8 - it's not the strips but squaring up!  A disadvantage of not using a foundation I suppose.  Oh well, thought it all looked too easy!!
.

1 comment:

bois-fleurie said...

Have the same trouble with my squares never finishing exactly the right size no matter how careful I am. The two in the photo are very pretty